Social & Environmental Commitment
Did You Know?
Some interesting facts about the Cape Biosphere:
- It is the only Biosphere run by ELECTED VOLUNTEERS (others are run by state employees).
- It is an excellent venue for shore-based WHALE WATCHING.
- It includes a RAMSAR site (Langebaan lagoon) with a DEEP-SEA HARBOUR to accommodate ore carriers.
- It includes Dassen Island, one of only two breeding sites in the country for PELICANS, (the other is St. Lucia), as well as the LARGEST PENGUIN COLONY.
- It is the HUB OF THE PELAGIC FISHING INDUSTRY, based in Saldanha.
- Yzerfontein harbour produces the LARGEST AMOUNT OF LINE FISH in the country.
- It has the LARGEST COLONY OF GANNETS, based at Lamberts Bay.
- It has a FOSSIL PARK.
- GROOTE POST VINEYARD produces Chardonnay of choice for SAA business class and has won many awards.
- DARLING CELLARS, the largest local producer of a fine selection of wines is based in the Biosphere.
- The SWARTLAND WHEAT FIELDS described as the “Breadbasket of South Africa” are part of the Biosphere.
- Langebaan hosts the LARGEST HOBIE CAT SAILING REGATTA in the country every Easter weekend.
- The WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP SAILBOARD competition is annually held at Big Bay.
- Blouberg is one of the TOP FIVE KITE SURFING VENUES IN THE WORLD.
- The Berg River estuary is one of the LARGEST SALT PRODUCERS in country (Cerebos).
- It is the HOME OF THE DRIED FISH INDUSTRY (Bokkems).
- It has an EXCELLENT CLIMATE, lower rainfall and warmer winters than Cape Town; and cooler summers owing to the cold Atlantic.
- It still has LARGE OPEN SPACES and a BIG BLUE UNPOLLUTED SKY.