There’s so much to do and see in Cape Town that visitors can easily feel a bit overwhelmed by all the options. That’s why we’ve got our own tour guide on hand to plan your itinerary and convey you there in style. Our guide, Vukile Saunders, has a true passion for showing visitors the beauty of this country and its people. He is renowned for his township tours that take people on inspiring cultural and historical trips through places like Langa and Gugulethu just outside the city centre.
The good news story of South Africa’s transformation
Townships in the South African context are areas the former apartheid government set aside for black people to live in. Vukile’s mission with his township tours is to show visitors the miracle of South Africa’s transformation from apartheid to democracy. It’s not just about staying in a tour bus and watching sights go by – you’re going to walk through the streets as Vukile introduces you to some of the fascinating people and places that few tourists get to see. You’ll find artists at work, meet a sangoma (an African healer), see how traditional beer is made and visit an open meat market where you’ll encounter the peculiar township delicacy known as the smiley.
For Vukile, this tour is about showing the richness that lies underneath the humble exterior of township life. It’s not just a cultural tour, it’s an inspirational journey that will change how you think about South Africa and its people.
Popular Cape tours
In addition to the township tour, Vukile can create a unique trip for you or take you on one of the popular routes that include the best of Cape Town’s attractions. There are several tours that are evergreen favourites with our guests:
- Cape Peninsula – a half or full day tour going out to Cape Point and taking in Chapman’s Peak, Constantia and other spectacular sights.
- Cape Town City – a half-day tour visiting landmarks such as Greenmarket Square, the Bokaap, the Castle and Table Mountain.
- Bokaap cooking experience – visit an authentic Cape Malay home where you will cook and enjoy a traditional dish.
- Winelands – a full day visiting some of the best wine farms in Stellenbosch, Franschoek and Paarl. Come back loaded with wines from world-renowned estates.
- Bespoke trips – visits to Cape Agulhas, the West Coast or any other areas that guests want to explore.
When you meet Vukile you’ll meet a man who is passionate about showing you the inside story of this country and its people. It isn’t work for him, it’s a calling.
So if you’re visiting Ocean View Guesthouse, be sure to chat with him and plan a memorable outing or two. There’s nothing like some expert local knowledge to make a destination come alive.