Castle of Good Hope
The Castle of Good Hope was built 1666-79 and is the oldest building in the entire country. Nowadays it accommodates a museum – and the army’s headquarter.
The pentagonal defensive wall is even older as it was made from soil and woods in 1652 by Commander Jan van Riebeeck.
It was supposed to hold the supplies for the Dutch-East-Indian trading company. Due to a lack of attacks the garrison never had to proof its suitability.
Each single one of the stones being used originates from Holland. Since 1936 the Catle of Good Hope has become a national monument.